Sounds like the weather has not been as hospitable as the people on your ride through Iowa. :/ Hopefully you get a couple agreeable days of riding in before you hit NE! Was great meeting you and hearing about your trip, your wife and kids. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the beginning of your blog up through the present to match some of the pictures to your stories! Will continue to track your journey - safe travels!
Very special to meet and to be open to interact with so many strangers on your journey, respecting everyone’s wishes to publicity or privacy. Pedal on…
Canyon Campground Yellowstone NP WY to Gardiner MT 40 miles (2,841) Today I entered Montana through the North entrance/exit to Yellowstone National Park. But first I picked up some food at the Yellowstone General Store in Canyon Village near where I camped last night. These two couples from California were sitting at a table outside the store and agreed to gang up on anyone who so much has looked at my bicycle sideways: From left: Gray, Laura, John and Annie. When I came out of the store they informed me that they had fought off four people. We Californians have to stick together! Today the only four-legged type of wildlife I experienced was one lone buffalo, a herd of tiny buffalo (they were very far away) and several itsy bitsy elk (they were very very far away). However, I experienced quite a bit of the two-legged type of wildlife - specifically the type that drives motorized vehicles. Much of today's route was along Yellowstone's Grand Loop Road, much of which h...
Rest Day Gardiner MT 0 miles (2,841) This is Greg: Greg is from Seattle and is on a road trip with his family around Montana, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National Park. We were in line for breakfast at the Yellowstone Grill in Gardiner, Montana; the town just outside the north entrance to Yellowstone National Park. He approached me to ask me about my rear view mirror and if I had trouble focusing on the road while viewing the traffic behind me. We ended up talking about cycling etiquette and motorist etiquette around cyclists. After speaking with Greg, I realize that most accidents could be avoided if cyclists and motorists alike exercised (no pun intended) common courtesy. Greg told me that when he was in Yellowstone yesterday, he drove by a cyclist down on the road with first responders attending him and rangers all around. After yesterday's harrowing ride on Grand Loop Road, I realize that I could have been the downed cyclist. I pray for that cyclist's ...
Marion IN to Peru IN 49 miles (1,032) Today my route was about as perfect as it gets. Out of 49 miles, 35 or so were on dedicated bicycle trails. The other mileage was on beautiful back roads of Indiana farmland. Back on the Cardinal Greenway Trail for a while: Then on to the Sweetser Switch Trail. This was perhaps the best maintained trail I have seen. It also had interesting historical artifacts along the way. If a community is considering building a bicycle trail, they should definitely send a couple of committee members to check out the Sweetser Switch Trail: (above) Are you old enough to remember the Schwinn Varsity - seen here hanging on a shelter alongside the Sweetser Switch Trail? (above) A baggage buggy from the railroad days of yore, replete with old luggage. My 1,000 mile coincided with the Converse Junction point of the Sweetser Switch Trail. I met Terry (below) while he was mow...
Sounds like the weather has not been as hospitable as the people on your ride through Iowa. :/ Hopefully you get a couple agreeable days of riding in before you hit NE! Was great meeting you and hearing about your trip, your wife and kids. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the beginning of your blog up through the present to match some of the pictures to your stories! Will continue to track your journey - safe travels!
ReplyDeleteVery special to meet and to be open to interact with so many strangers on your journey, respecting everyone’s wishes to publicity or privacy. Pedal on…
ReplyDeletePretty Awesome 1st month if you ask me! Like Angie says, “just pedal”!🚴♂️
ReplyDelete